My Peace I Leave With You


Easter Six: May 5, 2013; The Episcopal Church of the Ascension
My Peace I Leave With You; The Reverend Dr. Howard J. Hess

I. Introduction: One of the most beautiful passages in all of Scripture is called "The Farewell Discourse" found in the 13th to 17th chapters of The Gospel of John. In this passage, Jesus was saying goodbye to his closest friends in both actions and words at the Last Supper. He begins with the radical love filled gesture of washing his disciples' feet and then proceeds to tell them how is going to be arrested, and subsequently die and leave them. He reassures them that although they won't at first understand what is happening later because he will leave they will receive a new, deep sense of peace--in Hebrew--Shalom. In verse 27 of today's Gospel, Jesus says, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you." I imagine that his disciples were so confused: how could peace result from Jesus' leaving them? We often wonder that as well; how can the peace of Christ be infused in our experiences of loss and change?

II. I grew up surrounded by the use of the terms "peace". Because I lived in a largely Jewish area, early on in life, I noticed that every time one of our Jewish friends or neighbors referred to someone who died, they would always conclude by saying, "May he or she rest in peace." When I attended the many bar mitzvahs or bat mitzvahs of my Jewish friends, I frequently heard the Hebrew greeting, "Shalom", sometimes lengthened before or after a service to "Shabbat Shalom", may you have a peaceful sabbath.

Peace continued. When as a teenager I visited an Episcopal church for the first time, I heard people say, "The Peace of the Lord be with you". It seemed to me to be a tangible sign of community before the Eucharist. As years passed, I clearly remember hearing Dr. Martin Luther King speak eloquently of peace--peace between races, between nations and peace on foreign battlefields. And, yesterday, I had quite an honor. I was invited to explain peaceful non-violence to my eight year-old granddaughter, Clementine who is writing a report on Dr. King. Her mother recorded my comments and Clementine said "Papa, were you really alive when Dr. King lived?" This is a part of what I told her yesterday. "Dr. King believed deeply in Jesus Christ and like Jesus committed himself to peaceful change. When he came to Chicago where I lived, he marched for fair wages and while he and others marched, people said cruel, cruel things to him, threw bricks and stones at him and spit upon him. But, Dr. King had taught his followers to fight hate with love and truth. They marched arm and arm singing spirituals, not fighting back." I told her, "I believe that he learned how to do that from Jesus--how to be peaceful in the midst of evil."

III. The notion of peace is a core concept of our Christian faith and I believe central to our conversion and discipleship. Together let's go deep this morning and search for a larger picture of the meaning of peace, the Shalom peace, that Jesus offers us. First, let's look at what peace is not. Often it is easier for me to clarify what is true by ruling out what is not or is less true. That you might know that was the method used by Thomas Aquinas in his Sume Theologica. First, peace does not mean simply the absence of violence. Nor does it mean simply the presence of gentle restfulness. And certainly it does not just mean a kind gesture of greeting. Shalom peace means much, much more.

Shalom peace is rooted in the deep meanings found in the Hebrew language. In Hebrew, each word is meant to convey feeling, intent and emotion. According to Strong's Commentary, Shalom comes from the root verb Shalom which means to be complete, perfect and full. The feeling component of the word Shalom entails contentment, completeness, wholeness, well-being and harmony. When you and I are extending the peace with one another, we do so out of a rich tradition that is deeply intentional, personal and comprehensive.

IV. Our Gospel today gives us important indications about what constitutes Shalom peace. First, Shalom peace means both hello and good-bye. Shalom is not limited by time. Jesus was saying both hello and good-bye to his disciples in this Gospel. I must go so that the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, can come more fully. In Greek, the Paraclete means "one who walks alongside". It is drawn from court language in the ancient world and alludes, for example, to how an attorney walks next to a client.

Two crucial ideas emerge here: First, is continuity over time. Jesus must leave to allow his disciples to take their next steps of faith. But even as he leaves, Jesus sends another to teach, guide and create. With God nothing is lost, only changed. The continuity of the presence of Christ is promised to us forever and here and now particularly offered us in the Eucharist. The Paraclete must come because the Spirit will teach us everything we need to know. Secondly, Shalom peace is clearly associated with a lack of fear and anxiety. Jesus said "Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not let them be afraid." In spite of adversity, danger loss and vulnerability "do not be afraid". Peace be with you.

So we see that Shalom peace is based upon the continuity of God's presence and upon the absence of fear. It is also rooted in relationship. Imbedded in this passage is the Trinity: Jesus the Son of God is preparing to return to his God, Abba Father, and will send the Holy Spirit to instruct and guide. What Jesus Christ is offering us is the opportunity to participate in the dynamic relationship among The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. He is inviting his disciples not only to observe but to become relationally involved. We, you and I, are provided the wonderful gift of entering into the energetic dance that is the Trinity. And we are invited to dance as we do so. Recently, i was at a Jewish wedding reception. When the musicians began to play the Hava Nagila, everyone got up to dance the Horah. When I danced the Horah I was always putting the wrong foot out. But it didn't matter. The energy in the concentric moving circles of the dance was shared by all those participating. This is my image of the church--The Body of Christ, when we hear our Lord say to us, "Peace be with you; do not be afraid, love me, love my Father and open yourselves to my Holy Spirit" we should rejoice. We should be unable, frankly, to contain ourselves; we should want to stand and to dance holding hands with one another.

V. Conclusion. Our Lord was not a passive, reactive man. He loved life and he loved God's creation. He especially has loved those of us who take his name and follow Him. Why? Because he has asked us to be agents of his Shalom peace and to do so with gusto and abandon. Jesus has always wanted to stir our passions and empower us to see the big picture of his Shalom peace. I believe with all my heart that we are getting the big picture here at Ascension and that we're seeing and knowing the big picture of "Shalom peace" is incredibly beautiful and inviting. We just need to remember that God is with us continually; that no matter what, we really do not need to be afraid and that when we hear the words "Shalom peace" from our Lord, let's get up and dance together, not worrying about what is the next right step--just knowing that we are at peace, in peace and able to provide peace to one another.

My brothers and sisters-in-Christ: The Peace of the Lord Always Be With You.
Amen.My Pea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St. Patrick: Intimacy with God

Savior, Teach Us So to Rise