Redemption Throughout a Lifetime Easter Sunday, Year A: April 20, 2014
Episcopal Church of the Ascension The Reverend Dr. Howard J. Hess
I. Introduction. Today we welcome the Resurrected Lord Jesus Christ into our midst ~ not as an abstraction or as a memory from the past or even as an ideal figure, but as a real person present among us as our honored Lord and Savior. This is the Easter message. All the rest is commentary. We want to thank Jesus today for the gift of new life and the consistent opportunities he provides us to learn more about how to love him and how to love one another. I personally want to thank him for all the second chances he has offered me in my life. I also want to thank him not only for redeeming us, but also for redeeming time so that we could have the option of following Christ at our own pace. You see, it is my deep belief that Jesus works through time to graciously offer us new spiritual insights. The profound offer of joining Jesus or of going deeper in our relationship with him in a resurrection community is on the table for us this morning. I urge you to give this offer serious consideration.
II. Redeeming Time. When I was a child, there was a daytime serial opera on television entitled “Days of Our Lives.” On occasion when home sick from school, I would watch this show. I soon learned that the plot moved so slowly that you might tune in after several months of absence and absolutely nothing important seemed to have changed. Real life moves at a very different pace. The dynamics of my life and of others I have known have always been changing ~ some triumphs and some defeats. But constantly there has been Easter. When I take a retrospective view, although I might not have realized it at the time, Jesus has always been there by my side. The beauty of Christ’s presence is that it has been gentle and peaceful, not judging or harsh. Again, without my always knowing, Jesus and I were in partnership in all things and at all places. In spite of periods of heavy-duty uncertainty, Easter has always renewed my faith. Let is be true for all of us this morning. At Easter, Jesus seems and is alive, vibrant, and fully present.
III. Spiritual Autobiographies: If each of us were to plot our spiritual journeys on a trajectory, I believe that we would find that our own stories are similar to the stories of the early disciples. In our initial years of Christian experience, our faith can sometimes be shallow and only partly formed. Just like the disciples, we know stories about Jesus, but often we have not fully “known” Jesus. We wondered, but didn’t ask him many questions. We followed the paths where our families and communities led us.
Then some of us left home and encountered competing philosophies and moral standards and the infamous calls to achievement. Jesus was still there with us, but we may have not noticed that very much. Just like the disciples during Holy Week, for us Jesus seemed remote and disappointing. During the years after I left home I experienced my most pronounced times of darkness. I had discovered Chicago and didn’t see too much of Jesus there. But not so, in retrospect Jesus was very much still present ~ right next to me. I specifically remember an instance when Jesus had my back. I was in a very dangerous situation late at night and a man came literally out of nowhere and said to me: “Go away now. This is not a safe place for you. You are just a kid – leave.” I left. Often I wonder if perhaps this man was an angel. Many of us have had dark periods in our spiritual lives when we are preoccupied with a distant land, just like the Prodigal Son. The two Mary’s, consumed with grief, came to the tomb on Easter morning in darkness; the apostles before and after coming to the empty tomb were no doubt filled with fear and doubt. But for them and for us, always out of the darkness comes the bright light of Easter.
IV. Our Spiritual Journeys Progress. Easters come and go. Through the grace of God and the presence of Jesus Christ, we have new resurrection encounters interspersed with periods of darkness and despair. But it is the constancy of Jesus Christ that carries us through such times. And every time we experience a new Easter, Christ offers to reveal himself to us more fully if we are open to see and receive him. This was so for Mary Magdalene, for Peter and John, and all the others. Easter Day became the 50 days of Easter, led to Pentecost, and all the days and years that followed. And as these disciples lived out their vocations, they became increasingly conscious of Christ’s presence and become more and more one with him. It is into this process of belief and sanctification I urge you to enter or recommit yourself to today. Easter is not just a day; Easter is also a lifelong process of redemption that unfolds progressively over a lifetime. And here are some of the wisdom lessons that emerge during this process:
  1. Be reassured. Although Christ is with you right now, your free choice will never be violated, only sustained.
  2. Be comforted that the process of coming to an Easter faith unfolds throughout our lives and is supported by our many life transitions, be they peaceful or painful.
  3. Be joyful to know that the expression of your love to others is often a significant sign of Christ’s love for them.
  4. And, lastly, be uplifted to know that you are never alone in this process. The church as the Body of Christ is present to walk this path with you, as are God the Father, Jesus Christ his Son, and God’s Holy Spirit.
V. Conclusion. Each one of our faith journeys is different. Some of have certainty early in life about our faith and do not lose that certitude; others of us are prone to doubt and repeatedly feel a need for reassurance, signs, and proof. Some of us have always known life in the church and find it easy to be here. Others have been hurt by experiences in the church and resist trying again. One of the reasons I love the Episcopal Church is because it has room for all of us. It has provided me with the freedom to be who I am and where I am at any given moment in my life. This freedom to pursue your own spiritual journey authentically is offered to you as well.
I also love the Episcopal Church because it has helped me to integrate my faith with my whole life. I have learned that everything in one’s life can be redeemed and reconfigured. Transformation is the outcome of these redemptive experiences; and transformation leads to new life and better life. I have no question that because of Christ’s redemption I am alive today and with you in this church. I know that some of you are facing very difficult challenges right now and the idea of redemption may seem remote. We want you to know that especially at times of uncertainty and pain, Jesus remains close, and Jesus listens. Signs are always being given of Easters to come. You see, there are really three Easters ~ the Easter that first took place 2000 years ago; the future Easter that will happen when Christ comes again; and the Easter of the present moment. And in all ways through time we are a redeemed people, a resurrection people, and an Easter people
My brothers and sisters, Jesus Christ is trustworthy; Jesus Christ loves us without conditions, and, if allowed to do so, will redeem our lives beyond our wildest imagination! Alleluia, Christ is risen. And the people respond . . .
The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St. Patrick: Intimacy with God

Savior, Teach Us So to Rise